Thursday, October 15, 2009

My Favorite Day of the Week!

I was with some of my family today. It's always the best part of my week when this happens. You see, every Thursday I meet my parents, my sister, my daughter-in-law, and my granddaughter for lunch. Each week someone picks the place, but it's always Thursday because that is the day Mom gets her hair done, then she and Dad get their groceries, then we meet for lunch. After lunch we go to Mom's and play Hand and Foot for the afternoon. Sometimes other family members are able to join us, but we are the regulars.

Today my sister and I won the game. It never really matters who wins, and I never remember from week to week who wins. It is very unimportant to me. What is important is these few hours that we have to be together to tell our stories, laugh a lot, and just be ourselves, knowing that we love each other in spite of our silly selves. I love Thursdays! If it looks like we are going to have a hectic week, Mom says, "We're still having Thursday, aren't we?!" Sometimes my daughter-in-law calls and asks, "Will there be a Thursday this week?" I usually respond something silly like, "Of course there will be a Thursday. Every week has a Thursday." She doesn't laugh much at that.

Today we ate at Friday's, (I know... on Thursday). It gets complicated.

Well, the leaves are stunning today, in spite of the cold, wet air. Fall is here and winter right behind it. I'm not a big fan of winter, but I guess I can handle whatever comes my way, as long as I have a Thursday to look forward to. Thanks Mom and Dad for this special thing you do for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment